Flights that don’t exist, hotels next to rubbish dumps and cancelled transfers leaving people stranded are just some of the problems making holidays a misery. Too often people don’t get what they have paid for.
To avoid your dream holiday becoming a nightmare:-
- Choose a provider with an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL) for security even if the company goes bust.
- Take out travel insurance from the day you book. Check the excess charges on cheap policies and make sure you insure everything you plan to do, e.g. sports.
- If the operator significantly alters your holiday before you go, you don’t have to accept and can ask for a full refund.
- If flights, transfers and accommodation are not as described, complain straight away to a rep, and if still not satisfied, use the tour operator’s complaints procedure.
- If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a replacement flight or a refund.
- Travel insurance normally pays better compensation than airlines for luggage problems.
For more help, contact Citizens Advice.
Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems.
We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 015394 46464 for an appointment and help or complete our email form here.