Advice on Debt.

I recently became a carer for my partner, who I
live with, and can no longer work. We’ve started falling behind on our
bills and I’m worried our debts are only going to get worse. I’m on
Carer’s Allowance but what else can I do?

A change in circumstances can often trigger financial problems. Take action
quickly so you don’t slide into further debt. Try to make savings on your
household bills by switching suppliers or contracts. Contact your local
authority to see if you can get a council tax reduction. Try to boost your
income too. You may be able to apply for benefits jointly with your partner to
be paid alongside Carers Allowance.

Contact your creditors and ask if you can reduce your repayments. They can
also freeze any interest and charges. Check if you have payment protection
insurance that covers becoming a carer. It’s important to prioritise paying your
council tax and rent or mortgage.

For further help working out your budget, negotiating with creditors or
checking which benefits you’re entitled to, contact your nearest Citizens

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens
Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing,
employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across
South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone
03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and
on-going enquiries.

Please note the opening hours at Windermere have
been reduced, but contact details remain the same.

South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity,
No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551.

FRN: 617574