Avoiding debt if you’re out of work


“I was made redundant last month and I’ve already started to fall behind on my bills. I’m looking for work, but is there anything I can do so I don’t end up in debt?”

First, check that you’ve been paid any redundancy money you’re entitled to, if you’ve been in the job two years or more. If this is not clear on your final payslip, contact your employer.

Then look at ways to boost your income. See if you’re eligible for benefits like Jobseeker’s Allowance with Citizens Advice’s benefits calculator (www.citizensadvice.org.uk). You could also check if you can make savings on your bills, for example by switching to a cheaper gas or electricity deal.

Pay your rent or mortgage and council tax bills first as there can be serious consequences for missing payments. Try to negotiate lower repayments on your mortgage or credit cards to give you some breathing space.

For further help managing your money, contact South Lakes Citizens Advice.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 03444 111 444  for an appointment and help, or 015394 46464  for all debt enquiries or on-going enquiries.

South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity, No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551. FRN: 617574