Can you claim Carer’s Allowance?

If you are caring for someone with a long-term illness or disability and you have had to reduce or give up work, financial support may be available for you both. What is available will depend on your circumstances.

The person who is ill may be eligible for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) to help with their daily living and mobility costs. Their eligibility will be assessed on how their condition affects them, and what support they need.

To apply for PIP, you can call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and then complete the form you are sent.

If the person you care for receives the component of PIP which covers living costs (as opposed to mobility costs), then you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.  You need to earn £110 a week or less from your job after tax, and care for the person for 35 hours a week, to be eligible. You can make an application on the website.

For more help, contact your local Citizens Advice or go online at

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 015394 46464 for an appointment and help or use our email submission form from this website. South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity, No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No:6113551. FRN: 617574