Problems with a mobile phone contract?

I recently signed a two year phone contract with a new network provider but the reception in my home is terrible. Can I cancel the contract?

Poor signal doesn’t give you a right to cancel, but you can take action. If you bought your mobile online or over the phone within the last 14 days, simply cancel the contract. If you bought it in store or have had it for longer, explain the problem to the company. They may give you a device which can boost your signal.

If this doesn’t work, ask to terminate the contract. They will usually ask you to pay an exit fee, which can cost as much as the contract. If you don’t want to pay then use their complaints procedure. If you haven’t got a resolution after 8 weeks, ask an Alternative Dispute Resolution Service to make a decision on releasing you from the contract.

For further help, call the consumer service helpline on 03454 04 05 06 or contact South Lakes Citizens Advice on 03444 111 444.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens We can advise on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and on-going enquiries. South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity, No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551. FRN: 617574