South Lakes Citizens Advice
At South Lakes Citizens Advice we collect and use your personal information to help solve your problems, improve our services and tackle wider issues in society that affect people’s lives.
We only ask for the information we need. We always let you decide what you’re comfortable telling us, explain why we need it and treat it as confidential.
When we record and use your personal information we:
● only access it when we have a good reason
● only share what is necessary and relevant
● don’t sell it to anyone
At times we might use or share your information without your permission. If we do, we’ll always make sure there’s a legal basis for it. This could include situations where we have to use or share your information:
● to comply with the law – for example, if a court orders us to share information.
This is called ‘legal obligation’
● to protect someone’s life – for example, sharing information with a paramedic if a client was unwell at our office.
This is called ‘vital interests’
● to carry out our legitimate aims and goals as a charity – for example, to create statistics for our national research.
This is called ‘legitimate interests’
● for us to carry out a task where we’re meeting the aims of a public body in the public interest – for example, delivering a government or local authority service. This is called ‘public task’
● to carry out a contract we have with you – for example, if you’re an employee we might need to store your bank details so we can pay you.
This is called ‘contract’
● to defend our legal rights – for example, sharing information with our legal advisors if there was a complaint that we gave the wrong advice
We handle and store your personal information in line with the law – including the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.
You can check our main Citizens Advice policy for how we handle most of your personal information.
If you want to make a complaint
If you’re not happy with how we’ve handled your data, you can make a complaint by telephone, email or post (see below)
Contact South Lakes Citizens Advice about your information
If you have any questions about how your information is collected or used, you can contact our office:
- By telephone: 015394 46464. 09.00 – 4.00 Monday – Friday.
- By email: [email protected]
- By post: South Lakes Citizens Advice, Blackhall Road, Kendal, LA9 4BT
You can contact us to:
- find out what personal information we hold about you
- correct your information if it’s wrong, out of date or incomplete
- request we delete your information
- ask us to limit what we do with your data – for example, ask us not to share it if you haven’t asked us already
- ask us to give you a copy of the data we hold in a format you can use to transfer it to another service
- ask us stop using your information