Tips for online buying/refunds

I ordered a watch online with personalised engraving
for my partner’s upcoming 40th birthday.

The company has since gone out of
business. I keep phoning and emailing them but can’t get through to anyone. I
can’t afford to buy another gift until I get my money back. Please can you

If the company has gone into administration, it may still be able to fulfil outstanding
orders, but if it is already in liquidation, you’ll need to try to get your money back. If
you’re unsure about what state the company is in, the Citizens Advice website has
information on how to find out.

Is there a shop or office you can visit, to get an update on your order, or request a
refund? If that isn’t possible, the next steps depend on whether it’s a limited
company (it will have ltd or plc after its title) or if it’s a sole trader (someone who runs
their own business) or partnership.

If it’s a limited company, you’ll need to get details of the administrator or receiver –
the person dealing with settling the trader’s debts. The names of those
administrators will usually be on the website of the company that’s gone bust. You
should register your claim as a creditor on the GOV.UK website. Fill out the form with
details of what you’re owed and send it to the administrator. Unfortunately, there’s only a small chance you’ll receive any money back because
you’ll be last in a long list of creditors who need to be paid.

If you paid by debit or credit card, you could also try getting your money back with a
Section 75 claim or a chargeback claim to your card provider or bank. Full details
about both these types of claims can be found on the Citizens Advice website.
If the seller was a sole trader or partnership and not a limited company, pursuing a
Section 75 or chargeback claim is your best option.

Every case is different when traders go under, but you can call the Citizens Advice
consumer helpline to find out exactly what your rights are: 0808 223 1133 and visit


Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens
Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing,
employment or any other problems. South Lakes Citizens Advice, your local
charity, is here for you. How to access:
Call 015394 46464 – this is being staffed from 9:30 – 2pm

Adviceline: 0808 2787 984
email advice via our submission page on our website