Advice on Problems with your Energy Bills

My energy bill really shot up last month. I don’t feel like
I’ve been using any more heating or electricity than usual, so I’m worried I’m being overcharged. I’ve tried to contact my energy supplier for support, but no one ever seems to answer the phone or respond to my emails. I’ve waited on hold for nearly an hour several times before giving up. What should I do?

It’s normal for your energy bills to change depending on the time of year and how much gas
and electricity you’re using. But if your bills seem strangely high, then it’s important to
investigate why.

Firstly, check your meter is working properly and your usage has definitely not gone up, even
accidentally. Also check what heaters you have and whether you’re using them correctly.
Night storage radiators and immersion heaters in particular can cause very high bills if used

There are a few things worth looking into. It could be that your bill is an estimate, in which
case you need to give your supplier a new meter reading. If it’s not an estimate, check your
last meter reading to see if it matches the one on your bill. If you still don’t have an answer,
your supplier might have raised their prices. In any case, you’re doing the right thing to
contact them.

Customer service varies between suppliers and unfortunately we hear of many bad
experiences similar to yours. We also know the problem has worsened during the pandemic.
If you’re struggling to get through to them, you could make a formal complaint. We offer
advice on how to do this and things to consider first.

We publish a comparison table every three months which rates suppliers’ customer service,
based on things like telephone wait time, email response time and the accuracy of their bills.
Have a look for yours to see how they fare against others. If they’re low on the list, consider
switching to a different one.

If you’d like to talk it through with someone, contact South Lakes Citizens Advice.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens
Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing,
employment or any other problems.

South Lakes Citizens Advice, your local charity, is here for you.

How to access:
Call 015394 46464 – this is being staffed from 9:30 – 2pm
Adviceline: 0808 2787 984

email advice via our submission page on our website

Help to Claim (Universal Support): 0800 144 8 444