Are you having a problem with a Trader?

I’m having problems with a builder I employed
to build a kitchen extension to our house.

The back of our house is now a tarpaulin sheet. We have paid quite a lot, and he keeps asking for more. We had a bit of a row, and he hasn’t turned up for the last two days.

What should I do next?

If you want the builder to carry on, try to agree a detailed written schedule of works and payments. If you pay any future instalments by credit card rather than cash you’ll also have protection from the card provider. Take photos as
the work progresses and keep copies of everything.

If you feel the situation with that trader can’t continue, complain in writing and ask for a proportional refund. If you believe the work is substandard you can
report problems to Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice consumer service.

If that doesn’t work, look for an approved alternative dispute resolution (ADR)scheme – this is an independent third party who can help you to reach a
compromise. Call the Citizens Advice consumer service (0345 04 05 06) for further help.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens
Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing,
employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across
South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone
03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and
on-going enquiries. Please note the opening hours at Windermere have
been reduced, but contact details remain the same.

South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity,
No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551.

FRN: 617574