Managing your budget on a reduced income.

I’ve just had my hours cut at work. I’d like to take on a second job, but there’s nothing around.

I have children and I am worried about the cost of Christmas.

How can I make less go further, without going into debt?

One way to stretch household finances is to shop around for the best deals on your mobile phone and broadband, and on utilities, such as electricity. Installing a water meter can also sometimes bring savings. Check your insurances and subscriptions – cancel any you don’t need and shop around for the others. It’s normally cheaper if you don’t leave it until just before the renewal date.

If your children are school age there may be help available with uniforms, technology and free school meals. Our website has more details.

You may be eligible for benefits – The Turn 2 Us benefits checker is very useful.

Pay your rent or mortgage and council tax bills first as there can be serious consequences for missing payments.

Try to negotiate lower repayments on your mortgage or credit cards.

Keep track of your regular expenditure, such as housekeeping and essential travel, because it’s easy to slip into overdraft, or miss a
payment, and it can then become more and more expensive – and stressful – to get on the right track and out of debt. Likewise, think carefully about any ‘buy now pay later’ deals – they’re not always the best option long term.

If you are worried about debt, here at Citizens Advice we have specially trained
advisors available to help, so please do get in touch.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens
Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing,
employment or any other problems.
South Lakes Citizens Advice is still delivering a service – Telephone and Digital
How to access:
Call 015394 46464 – this is being staffed from 9:30 – 2pm
Adviceline: 03444 111 444
email advice via our submission page on our website
Help to Claim (Universal Support): 0800 144 8 444