New advice for Blue Badge Applicants

My mum has a non-visible disability, which causes her walking difficulties.  I heard something on the news about how she may now be eligible for a blue badge. How can I find out about this and help her apply?  

 On 30 August, the Blue Badge scheme was extended to people who live in England and have non-visible disabilities or conditions which affect their ability to walk. As a result, your mother may now qualify for a badge. 

She will be automatically eligible if she gets certain types of benefits, e.g. some categories of Personal Independence Payment and the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance. If not, she can still apply for a badge. Her local authority will use evidence from doctors and other healthcare professionals. She can check her eligibility and apply for a local authority-issued Blue Badge at If she can’t do this herself, you can apply on her behalf. 

 You’ll need a recent digital passport-style photo, proof of her identity, address, details of any benefits she receives, her National Insurance number, and evidence of how her non-visible disability or condition affects her mobility.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems. We can give detailed advice over the phone – telephone 03444 111 444. For email see our website: .We have various outlets across South Lakeland if an appointment is required. For Money Advice and for on-going enquiries please call 015394 46464. 

South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity, 

No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551. 

FRN: 617574