Problem Neighbours?

A family has moved in to the house next door and is being a nuisance, yelling late at night over a loud television and leaving bin bags strewn over the front of the house. I don’t want to antagonise them in case they become threatening. What can I do?

It’s best to try to resolve problems by speaking with your neighbour, if it’s safe to do so. Explain the effect their behaviour is having and ask them to stop. If the problem continues, keep a record of incidents and any factual evidence.


If you’re a council or housing association tenant, they may have a mediator you can use. If your neighbour is a social housing tenant, their landlord should deal with antisocial behaviour. If there is a commercial landlord, try asking them to help. Otherwise, visit your council website for information on dealing with statutory nuisance issues and make your complaints factual with evidence.


If you’ve tried everything but the problem persists, you can ask for an ASB Case Review, or ‘Community Trigger’. There is information on the South Lakeland District Council website on how to action this. If your neighbour becomes threatening or violent, you should tell the police.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and on-going enquiries. Please note the opening hours at Windermere have been reduced, but contact details remain the same.

South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity,

No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551.

FRN: 617574