Universal Credit Reductions.

I’ve had my Universal Credit payments
reduced for missing an appointment. I don’t think this is fair as I had a
good reason for not being able to attend. Now I am struggling to make
ends meet.

What should I do?

If you think the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has made a
mistake, you can ask for the decision to be reconsidered. Contact them as
soon as possible setting out why you disagree, including the date of the
decision and your personal information and National Insurance number. You
can do this in your Universal Credit online account, or a form on the
government website, in writing or over the phone. If the DWP does not
change its decision you can appeal. This could involve going to a tribunal and
may take some time.

Meanwhile, ask the DWP for a hardship payment through the Universal Credit
helpline, or at your local Jobcentre Plus office. This is usually a loan and will
be deducted from future Universal Credit payments. You may also be able to
apply for financial help from your local council. Your local Citizens Advice can
help you with all this.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens
Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing,
employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across
South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone
03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and
on-going enquiries. Please note the opening hours at Windermere have
been reduced, but contact details remain the same.

South Lakes Citizens Advice is a registered charity,
No: 1118656 and company limited by guarantee, No: 6113551. FRN: 617574